Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Writing Leads - Language Arts Strand: Writing

 FOCUS QUESTION

What was Jamaica's road to independence?

SPECIFIC OBJS.
Identify and use various writing leads techniques in responding to narrative writing prompts: action, snapshot, sound, question, flashback, talking

CONTENT SUMMARY

























































ENGAGE
Students, today we will be looking at different types of WRITING LEADS. Have you heard of this before? What is this really?
               

 lead is an opening paragraph that gives the audience the most important information of the news story in a concise and clear manner, while still maintaining the readers' interest.

 


Let us read the definition together.

EXPLORE
Now there are different kinds of writing leads. We are going to learn about them now.
Let us watch this video clip together. Listen for the different types of leads and examples of each.

Let us view the information on the charts below. You may add to the information you have gleaned from the video clip.




Now let me see how much you can recall from the information we covered.


EXPLAIN
What is a writing lead? 
Provide examples of each of the leads. 

Select the correct lead for each of the examples in the table below by using a tick.

EXAMPLES

Snapshot

Dialogue

Question

Flashback

Action lead

Sound effect

“Wake up!” My mom shouted

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Brrrrring!” rang the alarm

 

 

 

 

 

 

Have you ever been late on the first day of school?

 

 

 

 

 

 

My eyelids slowly opened and I wondered why it was so bright. I gasped when I reached for my  clock.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have only slept  in once, but it turned out to be one of the worst mistakes of my life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I could not believe I had made the same mistake again

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


EXTEND/ELABORATE
Now I want you to read the prompt below, and use any three of the leads to start a story. I need you to identify the lead type you used .

"You were a Taino who lived close to the beach. You were fishing when Christopher Columbus pulled up at the bay. Relate the story". 

 

EVALUATE
Select one of the writing leads you did and complete the story.

PROMPT: "You were a Taino who lived close to the beach. You were fishing when Christopher Columbus pulled up at the bay. Relate the story".

No comments:

Post a Comment