Thursday, December 3, 2020

Pictographs - Maths Strand: Statistics & Probability

 FOCUS QUESTION

In what ways can I represent and interpret information?

SPECIFIC OBJS.
1.  Collect data using direct observation, experiments, interviews and questionnaire
2. Identify patterns and trends in data and make inferences from these patterns and trends.

CONTENT SUMMARY
A pictograph uses pictures to show data.

ENGAGE
Students I want you to quickly find the following  words in the word puzzle below.

WORDS

Pictograph         Pie chart           Bar Graph      Line Graph

Axis                     Histogram        Title                 Data


A

E

R

U

J

K

B

M

U

B

I

O

P

K

L

U

U

F

W

H

J

S

Q

E

F

G

K

B

D

S

A

A

A

V

L

T

R

T

G

H

U

J

K

L

M

A

B

F

B

L

B

I

G

E

T

Y

U

I

O

P

Q

C

M

K

G

A

K

B

N

G

Y

H

T

N

M

K

L

P

Y

B

T

R

R

U

F

E

S

U

P

I

E

C

H

A

R

T

C

Y

E

G

T

D

G

E

K

E

T

E

T

U

G

G

J

D

U

W

R

Y

E

R

R

P

R

L

E

D

J

J

T

N

E

I

S

A

O

R

A

R

O

T

E

F

P

K

K

Y

F

L

O

I

P

E

M

P

T

J

E

W

T

U

I

P

U

V

K

P

X

H

W

A

H

U

H

D

A

H

E

R

M

O

R

I

K

A

D

Q

R

Y

J

T

D

Y

P

K

H

G

P

W

Y

L

B

D

G

G

U

H

P

A

R

G

O

T

C

I

P

S

D

S

W

H

O

P

T

E

T

L

U

R

E

L

K

O

I

M

K

A

Y

T

Q

E

D

A

P

H

E

L

M

O

I

K

H

R

Q

U

S

T

T

Y

U

N

Y

W

R

H

I

P

E

 

L

J

J

I

R

S

T

V

I

N

Q

U

P

K

L

Y

R

Q

K

I

H


Students can you remind me what all of these words are associated with? What is a pictograph? Try to formulate a working definition for “Pictograph”.  

EXPLORE
I want you to listen to this clip on you can learn more about pictograph and how to construct it.

Video: pictograph


Now let us look at the example below.















How many apples were sold in January?
Which  recorded the most sales? How many?
How would you describe the trend in sales over the four months?

EXPLAIN
What is  a pictograph?
Explain how it is constructed.
Now make at least 6 statements about the pictograph below.






















EXTEND/ELABORATE

Students will collect data by questioning each other about how many sodas they had each day last week. They will then use the collective data in groups of five, to create a pictograph depicting the information.


EVALUATE

Task 1
Use the graph below to answer the questions that follow














(a)    How many strawberries does Ed have?

(b)   Who has most strawberries?

(c)    What is the mean strawberry represented on the graph?

(d)   What fraction of the strawberries does George have?


Task 2

Complete the exercise below.














No comments:

Post a Comment